For a long time (and without sounding too smug), I've been rather proud of how much travelling I've managed to accomplish. When I finished university in 2011, I spent six months interning in London before I realised I couldn't handle not being on the move and seeing new things, so I caught a flight to [...]
For a long time (and without sounding too smug), I've been rather proud of how ...
“Crickets are good luck in Cuba,” the man tells me, as he expertly winds a ...
I've been battling an obsession with coffee for a long time. Despite adoring the taste, ...
We were trundling down Colombia’s main coastal highway in a local bus, fresh from Tayrona ...
The Galápagos Islands are infamous for their scenery and wildlife. They’re a dream destination for ...
Sometimes it amazes me how much we rely on technology. The amount of travellers I ...
I woke up to a huge breast in my face. I wasn’t quite sure what ...
Coming to Medellin was always supposed to be the final push on my Spanish skill ...
“Crickets are good luck in Cuba,” the man tells me, as he expertly winds a palm leaf around itself, folding the plant so it begins to represent an insect. His fingers move as quickly as his mouth does. We are in a car park just outside of Trinidad, at the base of stone steps that [...]
I've been battling an obsession with coffee for a long time. Despite adoring the taste, the caffeine buzz, and the resulting burst of productivity, coffee also makes my skin break out, gives me the shakes occasionally, and sometimes causes a buzz that's a bit too much for me to handle. So after a few too [...]
We were trundling down Colombia’s main coastal highway in a local bus, fresh from Tayrona Park and on our way to Palomino, when I saw them. Two boys dressed head to toe in white, standing solemnly, their bare feet curling in the dirt. Brothers perhaps; definitely together, members of the same community. The bus moved [...]
The Galápagos Islands are infamous for their scenery and wildlife. They’re a dream destination for thousands of people around the world who crave the crystal clear waters, the multitudes of colourful fish, the diving and snorkelling opportunities, the bizarre plethora of confident sealions and skittering iguanas, and the chance to sit back and relax on [...]
Sometimes it amazes me how much we rely on technology. The amount of travellers I meet who can't escape the clutches of their smartphones or laptops in the common rooms of hostels; the amount of people who don't get lost in new cities anymore because they've already downloaded the right map. In 2007, I went [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence & literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya & orphans in Lithuania, & worked with musicians in Iceland & celebrities in India. For the last year, I've been travelling & volunteering my way through South America.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime! Follow along with my adventures on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus.
Where Am I?
Next stop: London, England; Athens, Greece; and Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Falling for a Traveller: My On the Road Relationship May 16, 2014
- Six Days for $900: Doing the Galapagos on a Budget June 21, 2013
- Volunteering with Children Abroad: the Issues You Should Know June 28, 2013
- After Two Years of Travel, I’m Moving Back to England July 17, 2014
- Impressions from Inside Cuba July 10, 2014
- Don Elias and the Coffee Culture of Colombia July 3, 2014
- Meeting the Kogi Tribe of Palomino… Almost June 26, 2014
- The Dark Side of the Galapagos June 19, 2014
- professional hair care products distributors: Body scrubs are one of the easiest homemade beau...
- Ashwin: A very nice blog. A good bucket list too :) Addi...
- Laura: It sounds like exciting times ahead! I'm really l...
- Sichuan Tours: I was attracted by this article. I'm considering ...
- moving companies prices average: On account of schedule development, your organizat...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- advice (2)
- Africa (1)
- Asia (3)
- Bolivia (14)
- Bosnia (1)
- Brazil (4)
- Challenges (26)
- Colombia (17)
- Cuba (3)
- Ecuador (25)
- England (7)
- Food (2)
- General (3)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (4)
- Language (2)
- Lithuania (2)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (6)
- North America (2)
- Personal (16)
- Peru (8)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (19)
- Portugal (4)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (63)
- Spain (5)
- Spanish Challenge (7)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (9)
- Travel Plans (7)
- Volunteering (17)
- What the hell? (1)
- Writing (4)