Castles, forests, Catholicism. And gypsies. And Dracula. I’m not proud of it, but these have long been the sole buzzwords I’ve always associated with Romania. Along with a lot of countries in Eastern Europe (and the continent in general), it’s been a place I’ve always vaguely wanted to visit but never really made the push to do [...]
Castles, forests, Catholicism. And gypsies. And Dracula. I’m not proud of it, but these have ...
The first cigar I ever smoked was when I was studying abroad in Florence. My ...
Good English food is one of the things I find the hardest to be apart ...
“Flora, wait!” Esther came trotting down the hallway of the small bungalow in her nightie, ...
It’s been a month since I left South America. Four weeks ago, my last full ...
“So you don’t know when you’re coming back?” I remember the face of my best ...
What do taxis, cigars, horse drawn carriages and Buena Vista Social Club have in common? ...
For a long time (and without sounding too smug), I've been rather proud of how ...
The first cigar I ever smoked was when I was studying abroad in Florence. My friend Kath had been given one as a present: we lit it up along with a lot of giggling, took turns with a puff each – and suddenly I felt horribly sick. No one had ever told me not to [...]
Good English food is one of the things I find the hardest to be apart from when I’m travelling. When I last came back to London in January, I spent two weeks practically inhaling my body weight in cheese. And bagels. And bacon, roast dinners, English mustard and the delicious weirdness that is Marmite – [...]
“Flora, wait!” Esther came trotting down the hallway of the small bungalow in her nightie, waving her hands as I stepped over the threshold into the thick heat of the midday Viñales sun. “What time do you want your dinner tonight? And would you like chicken or fish?” A strange request from a woman I’d only [...]
It’s been a month since I left South America. Four weeks ago, my last full day in Colombia, I was on the outskirts of Bogotá playing tejo in a giant greenhouse with a group of Colombian friends; everyone drinking beers at three in the afternoon, throwing metal pucks at little packets of folded paper filled with [...]
“So you don’t know when you’re coming back?” I remember the face of my best friend, slightly astonished, as she took in what I was saying to her. Finally making that decision – to not buy a return ticket, to lay myself open to the possibilities of whatever the road had in store for me [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence & literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya & orphans in Lithuania, & worked with musicians in Iceland & celebrities in India. For the last year, I've been travelling & volunteering my way through South America.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime! Follow along with my adventures on Facebook, Twitter, and Google Plus.
Where Am I?
Next stop: Athens, Greece; and Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Six Days for $900: Doing the Galapagos on a Budget June 21, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Falling for a Traveller: My On the Road Relationship May 16, 2014
- Can Drinking Ayahuasca Change Your Life? October 18, 2013
- Crosses, Skulls and a Thousand Churches: Religion in Romania September 26, 2014
- From Farm to Factory: the Truth Behind Cuban Cigars September 11, 2014
- Eating My Way Around East London September 4, 2014
- Navigating the Cuban Casa System August 21, 2014
- A Lack of Familiarity: Learning How to De-Travel August 14, 2014
- past imperfect subjunctive Spanish hacer: I don't drop a great desl of remarks, but i did s...
- lachaineguitare: I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. ...
- footystar.co.uk: Foods from the grocery store might last you all mo...
- complete cleanse: Good article! We will be linking to this particula...
- Chicken coop plans: If you want a very good source of light and warmth...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- advice (2)
- Africa (1)
- Asia (3)
- Bolivia (15)
- Bosnia (1)
- Brazil (5)
- Challenges (26)
- Colombia (18)
- Cuba (6)
- Ecuador (26)
- England (9)
- Europe (1)
- Food (3)
- General (3)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (4)
- Language (2)
- Lithuania (2)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (6)
- North America (2)
- Personal (17)
- Peru (9)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (19)
- Portugal (4)
- Romania (1)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (64)
- Spain (5)
- Spanish Challenge (7)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (9)
- Travel Plans (7)
- Volunteering (17)
- What the hell? (1)
- Writing (5)