“This can’t be the same station!” I looked out, bleary eyed, from the folds of sarong wrapped around my head. I’d spent the last half hour trying to fall asleep, but the combination of the Pan-American Highway’s ever present road bumps and a bus with zero suspension were doing their utmost to stop me. Through [...]
“This can’t be the same station!” I looked out, bleary eyed, from the folds of ...
“Do you feel older than us?” asked Mhairi, as we sat in a cosy cafe ...
As is often the way when travelling, my daily lifestyle in Cuenca tends to revolve ...
“Hola Piña! Como vas?!” I turned around for the fifth time in half an hour ...
“Excuse me.” A middle aged woman passing our table stopped for a moment. She looked ...
“It’s basically Ecuador’s equivalent of Zante!” The words echoed through my head at 7am, as ...
“Floracita, you are ok?” I grinned, gulped, and nodded my head. The moustachioed man with ...
“So you know when you said today was supposed to be sunny?…” We looked out ...
“Do you feel older than us?” asked Mhairi, as we sat in a cosy cafe on a Wednesday afternoon, discussing our travelling plans for the months ahead. I didn’t know how to answer for a minute. It’s a pretty loaded question to be honest, particularly when you’ve chosen to spend six months of your life [...]
As is often the way when travelling, my daily lifestyle in Cuenca tends to revolve around food. More specifically, the time of day and my location in the city dictates what exactly I’ll be eating. So there’s a strong likelihood that a bowl of fruit salad will be sat in front of me at 10:20 [...]
It’s been two months since I started working at Collegio Miguel Merchan as a voluntary English teacher. In that timeframe, there a few things I’ve become certain of. Firstly, teaching is not as easy as I thought. Secondly, there are elements of the Ecuadorian school system that I can never hope to understand. And finally? [...]
I stood in the small office, studiously trying to avoid the unflinching gaze of a prostrate Jesus. Under his crucified frame, a nun was peering at a computer screen, clicking idly through her Facebook page. “So…is it ok if I go to Peru next week?” I shifted uncomfortably as the nun looked me up and [...]
“Hola Piña! Como vas?!” I turned around for the fifth time in half an hour to see a group of girls eagerly clambering down the stone bleachers towards us. In front of me, the tall figure of ‘Piña’ – otherwise known as Jose, and still further known as my friend Sherri’s host brother – stretched [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence and literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya and orphans in Lithuania, and worked with musicians in Iceland and celebrities in India.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime!
Where Am I?
Next stop: attempting to travel the Galapagos - on the cheap!
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Travelling in 2012: A Photographic Roundup December 31, 2012
- Why I Fell In Love With Lisbon October 1, 2012
- The Besalu Bloghouse October 13, 2012
- Crossing the Ecuador Border on Foot: the Longest 100km of My Life May 23, 2013
- Colour, Chaos and Crazy Graffiti: Travelling the Age Gap May 18, 2013
- Eating All the Food in Ecuador May 11, 2013
- A Fiesta of Fireworks at School Founder’s Day May 4, 2013
- Cuenca to Cusco and Back Again: the Pitfalls of Planning a Trip to Peru April 26, 2013
- Britany: That all sounds pretty miserable but it's a great...
- Endri Hasanaj: Well done with this post! It is really well writte...
- Samantha: Flora, that's great you know what learning style ...
- Carl: Hey Flora, I love this article. It pretty much ...
- Ryan: Amazing comparison story Flora. I love how you tou...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- Africa (1)
- Asia (1)
- Bosnia (1)
- Challenges (7)
- Ecuador (15)
- England (4)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (3)
- Lithuania (1)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (4)
- North America (2)
- Personal (3)
- Peru (2)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (14)
- Portugal (4)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (1)
- Spain (5)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (7)
- Travel Plans (6)
- Volunteering (1)