After three weeks spent working in Medellin in my first ever journalism role, I hit a metaphorical wall. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, there simply wasn't enough time to get everything done.
After three weeks spent working in Medellin in my first ever journalism role, I hit ...
Last month when I arrived in Medellin to attempt to be a journalist, I knew ...
My decision to move to Medellin was three-fold: to improve my Spanish, to learn more ...
Sometimes it's not the object that's stolen from you that's important: it's the action itself. ...
“So what do you want to do for your birthday then?” Josh said, as we ...
Salinas is cold. Nestled in the mountains at an altitude of 5,300 metres, the temperature ...
This week, I turned 26. It's an age I've never been particularly concerned about before, ...
I came back to London with a cold. It’s totally understandable, really. From Peru to ...
Last month when I arrived in Medellin to attempt to be a journalist, I knew my life was about to get busy. What I hadn't expected was having less than six hours of time to myself per day: six hours that involved getting the bus home from the office, taking clothes to the laundry, buying [...]
My decision to move to Medellin was three-fold: to improve my Spanish, to learn more about Colombia by living here, and to take my first steps in journalism.
Sometimes it's not the object that's stolen from you that's important: it's the action itself. And sometimes, perhaps at the start of a long distance bus journey to cross the Ecuadorian-Colombian border; perhaps when you're in the midst of days filled with similar bus journeys, the act of theft affects you much more than it [...]
“So what do you want to do for your birthday then?” Josh said, as we journeyed across the Ecuadorian countryside on yet another long bus ride. With only a week to go before I turned 26, the options were becoming somewhat limited. And after volunteering in Cuenca for five months last year, I'd been to [...]
Salinas is cold. Nestled in the mountains at an altitude of 5,300 metres, the temperature warrants the wearing of every piece of relatively warm clothing I own, topped with a waterproof jacket to combat the sudden downpour that rolls in with the cloud cover every afternoon. I can see my breath in the confines of [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence and literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya and orphans in Lithuania, and worked with musicians in Iceland and celebrities in India.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime!
Where Am I?
Next stop: staying put in Medellin, Colombia for a few months...
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Volunteering with Children Abroad: the Issues You Should Know June 28, 2013
- Six Days for $900: Doing the Galapagos on a Budget June 21, 2013
- Give a Shit? My Most Terrifying Toilet Experiences Around the World November 19, 2013
- Travel: the Good, the Bad, and the Weird April 17, 2014
- Getting to Know Me: a Retrospective April 10, 2014
- Moving to Medellin April 3, 2014
- A Dorito Flavoured Drama of When Travel Drives You Crazy March 27, 2014
- A Last Minute Galapagos Cruise March 20, 2014
- Heather: Haha as a 1/2 Colombian I can tell you I cannot st...
- Christie: My best toilet experience (although somewhat stran...
- Alphonso: Greetings! I've bsen reading your weblog for some...
- Travel: the Good, the Bad, and the Weird: […] time last year, I was in Montañita, Ecu...
- Travel: the Good, the Bad, and the Weird: […] I really give it a second thought, the t...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- advice (2)
- Africa (1)
- Asia (3)
- Bolivia (14)
- Bosnia (1)
- Brazil (4)
- Challenges (24)
- Colombia (9)
- Ecuador (24)
- England (6)
- Food (2)
- General (3)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (4)
- Language (2)
- Lithuania (2)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (6)
- North America (2)
- Personal (13)
- Peru (8)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (18)
- Portugal (4)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (54)
- Spain (5)
- Spanish Challenge (6)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (9)
- Travel Plans (7)
- Volunteering (17)
- Writing (2)