You might not have noticed, but my travels have been slowing down again somewhat since I reached Bolivia. Not to say they're ending – not by a long shot! – but I'm choosing to spend a lot longer in each place I travel to. First I spent almost five weeks in La Paz, and now [...]
You might not have noticed, but my travels have been slowing down again somewhat since ...
I didn't even know we'd arrived in Morado K'asa until Roxana pulled at my arm. ...
I'd been standing in the reception of my Isla del Sol hotel for at least ...
“I don't believe in the gods, but last night I prayed to them that you ...
“Ah, shit! I’ve broken my leg…” Two Bolivian ladies flutter anxiously around me as I ...
It’s what I’ve heard can happen. And I was dutifully sceptical, as many people often ...
Hola mis amores! El artículo de hoy es un poco diferente, porque ahora estoy en ...
There’s a huge amount of fascinating street art pieces throughout South America, and every time ...
I didn't even know we'd arrived in Morado K'asa until Roxana pulled at my arm. Clambering past a mother and her baby, we jumped down from the little micro bus and bartered with the driver to sell us tickets for the return journey back to Sucre that afternoon. Then we shouldered our bags, peeled off [...]
When travelling, you come across a lot of interesting toilet situations. They can be squats or holes; on moving transport or in the middle of nowhere; with paper or without; using jugs of water or handfuls of rice husks to flush with. The infinite number of variables makes the unknown condition of a foreign toilet [...]
I have a bit of an affinity for graveyards. As a child, on my family's twice-yearly visits to my grandpa's grave in Somerset, there were three other plots I used to say hello to. None of them were related to me in any way; but one man had died on my birthday, another woman shared [...]
I'd been standing in the reception of my Isla del Sol hotel for at least ten minutes, waiting for a girl to bring me a bottle of water, when two figures stumbled in through the door. He collapsed onto the nearest sofa immediately; she stepped cautiously towards the narrow trestle table that held a thermos [...]
“I don't believe in the gods, but last night I prayed to them that you would come – and you did! And now I believe in them!” The man's eyes were bright as he towered above me. I sat uncomfortably in the chair he offered, wishing he'd at least sit down too. The restaurant around [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence and literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya and orphans in Lithuania, and worked with musicians in Iceland and celebrities in India.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime!
Where Am I?
Next stop: travelling around Bolivia: Potosì, the salt flats of Uyuni and the wine region of Tarija!
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Volunteering with Children Abroad: the Issues You Should Know June 28, 2013
- Why I Fell In Love With Lisbon October 1, 2012
- Why It Doesn’t Really Feel Like Christmas to Me December 26, 2012
- Getting Stuck In to Sucre’s Food Scene December 5, 2013
- The Pueblo of Morado K’asa and its 200 Residents November 28, 2013
- Give a Shit? My Most Terrifying Toilet Experiences Around the World November 19, 2013
- The Most Beautiful Cemetery I’ve Ever Seen November 15, 2013
- An All Night Long Dance with the San Pedro Cactus November 8, 2013
- shei: Hello Flora! I'm reading with utter relish your ...
- Audrey: We didn't spend nearly as much time in Sucre as y...
- Naomi: I am totally amazed and moved. They are so beautif...
- Sally: Haha I envy that. I'm a common and prime target, ...
- Sally: Aw, lovely. I really miss that sharing, friendly a...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- Africa (1)
- Asia (3)
- Bolivia (8)
- Bosnia (1)
- Brazil (4)
- Challenges (20)
- Colombia (7)
- Ecuador (21)
- England (4)
- Food (1)
- General (1)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (4)
- Language (1)
- Lithuania (2)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (6)
- North America (2)
- Personal (11)
- Peru (5)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (17)
- Portugal (4)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (42)
- Spain (5)
- Spanish Challenge (4)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (9)
- Travel Plans (7)
- Volunteering (17)