This week, I turned 26. It's an age I've never been particularly concerned about before, but when it was pointed out to me that 26 is actually much nearer to 30 than I'd first realised, a tiny bit of panic set in. Where the hell did all that time go?! I'm very happy with what [...]
This week, I turned 26. It's an age I've never been particularly concerned about before, ...
I came back to London with a cold. It’s totally understandable, really. From Peru to ...
London is one of those cities that everyone loves. For hopeful travellers it’s a must-see ...
“I hate this,” I said, slightly pathetically, to the empty air around me. There was ...
There's always a quiet spot in an airport, if you look hard enough. Most people ...
Buses in Bolivia have now become something of a joke for me. Through fourteen weeks ...
It started with the bus ride. “Oh god,” I breathed in deeply, trying to tear ...
A few days ago, I left Bolivia for Peru. After fourteen weeks, nine cities, two ...
After a year of travelling through South America, something about the Spanish language has become acutely clear to me. From my foreigner’s perspective, I’ve realised that it’s not enough to have a vague understanding of what people are saying, or be able to respond with a few choice phrases and bits of vocabulary. More and [...]
Somehow, the conversation had moved onto breasts. “It’s really horrible!” Jenna said, picking up her beer bottle and looking at her husband’s face. “You’re in the perfect place to sunbathe, and then you can’t wear a bikini because your breasts are burnt!” Jenna and Dave were in a year into the trip of a lifetime, [...]
I came back to London with a cold. It’s totally understandable, really. From Peru to the United States to England in thirty eight hours, I travelled under a haze of stale recycled air; surrounded at all times by the germs of a hundred sets of lungs, breathing in and out. But being in the freezing [...]
London is one of those cities that everyone loves. For hopeful travellers it’s a must-see destination, and many people I’ve met around the world get significantly excited when I say it’s my hometown. “So you’re from London?” “Yep, I was born there.” “Oh! So you’re actually from London!” “Yeah. Born and bred…” But after living [...]
“I hate this,” I said, slightly pathetically, to the empty air around me. There was nobody near enough to hear the words: the only people capable of listening were already halfway down into the canyon. I was way behind the group, taking my time as usual. I also happened to be muttering darkly to myself [...]
Who is Flora The Explorer?
I'm a writer and traveller with a self penned obsession for the weirdnesses of the world.
Over the last six years, I've studied Italian in Florence and literature in San Francisco, volunteered with villagers in Kenya and orphans in Lithuania, and worked with musicians in Iceland and celebrities in India.
My vague aim is to visit every continent twice before I turn thirty one – and explore as much of the world as possible in the meantime!
Where Am I?
Next stop: flying back to Peru!
- Happy, Safe and Solo: Travelling in India by Yourself February 7, 2013
- Am I Incapable of Learning Spanish? January 23, 2013
- Volunteering with Children Abroad: the Issues You Should Know June 28, 2013
- Can Drinking Ayahuasca Change Your Life? October 18, 2013
- Why It Doesn’t Really Feel Like Christmas to Me December 26, 2012
- 26 At 26: Birthday Resolutions for a New Year March 8, 2014
- The Spanish Challenge: Learning How to Argue February 27, 2014
- Sunshine and Sunburn: Going Back to South America February 20, 2014
- How to Cope with Getting Sick when Travelling February 13, 2014
- Culture Shock at Home – or ‘A Tourist’s Guide to London’ February 6, 2014
- 26 At 26: Birthday Resolutions for a New Year: […] it's with Crisis at Christmas, hand...
- 26 At 26: Birthday Resolutions for a New Year: […] not actually necessary isn't good. ...
- pirater battle camp: I like it when individuals get together and share ...
- Sport Cars Blog: Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to ...
- Robocop Game Free Download: ABC will also bring country music star Reba Mc - E...
Follow @florabaker on Twitter
- advice (2)
- Africa (1)
- Asia (3)
- Bolivia (14)
- Bosnia (1)
- Brazil (4)
- Challenges (24)
- Colombia (7)
- Ecuador (21)
- England (6)
- Food (2)
- General (3)
- Iceland (8)
- India (30)
- Italy (2)
- Jordan (2)
- Kenya (4)
- Language (2)
- Lithuania (2)
- Malta (2)
- Morocco (2)
- Nepal (6)
- North America (2)
- Personal (13)
- Peru (8)
- Photo of the Week (12)
- Photography (18)
- Portugal (4)
- Scotland (3)
- South America (51)
- Spain (5)
- Spanish Challenge (6)
- Syria (1)
- Thailand (9)
- Travel Plans (7)
- Volunteering (17)